James Longman opened his music shop in 1767 not far from St. Paul’s Cathedral in Cheapside, a bustling business destination in London during the latter half of the eighteenth century. Longman was a seller of printed music and a full line of musical instruments including violins, woodwinds, and keyboards. He later joined with Francis Broderip to form Longman & Broderip, a successful partnership lasting nearly two decades. Longman & Broderip were renowned for their exceptional pianos but were also known for their “English” guittars. The English guittar, shaped like a sixteenth-century cittern, was an immensely popular instrument during the eighteenth century. It was strung with wire and was most often tuned to an open-C chord.